- The social situation and the beauty trend in the 1980’s
- The social situation and the beauty trend in the 1990’s
The Social situation and the beauty trend in the 1980’s
The Social situation
- Japan entered its golden age, the bubble period.
- Land prices soared and stock prices continued to rise.
- A hairstyle called one-length (to make it all the same length), Bodycon Dress (wearing skin-tight cloths), and gaudy clothes were the trend. I would say it was just “Mabui” (meaning Dazzling girls at the time), the era of dreams.
The beauty trends
- The One length haircut, Sauvage hair, and “Seiko-chan haircut” were the trend.
- Easy-to-maintain curly hair and Sauvage hair were booming as social advancement of women progressed.
- Hair styling products were selling well at the time to make permed waves look pretty.
The Social situation and the beauty trend in the 1990’s
The Social situation
- The burst of the bubble economy.
- Many companies went bankrupt, and the ice age for job hunters began.
- The Great Hanshin Earthquake struck.
- Society was thrown into chaos for a series of crimes related to the religious group Aum Shinrikyo.
- Having haircut with so-called “charismatic” hairstylist has become a fad at this time. The singers Namie Amuro and Ayumi Hamasaki having bleached hair brought the opening of hair coloring craze.
- In the latter half of the 1990’s, hair thinning scissors returned as people wanted lighter hairstyles.
- High lift color became popular. The wavy hair called “Nagoya-Maki” was booming with a particular ironing technique, and getting perms became less popular.
The women of this time period all looked so shiny. New hairstyle trends came out and people enjoy fashion and hairstyles more casually. It’s amazing how much influence celebrities have!
Yet, no matter how many times I see it, the cuteness of “Seiko-chan haircut” never changes! It’s always been a girl’s dream. Maybe I’ll get a bob haircut like Seiko-chan’s, or maybe bleach my hair like Ayumi Hamasaki.
Aaah, we girls never stop working on beauty!