- The social situation in the 2000’s
- The beauty trend in the 2000’s
The social situation in the 2000’s
- International terrorism has become more active. The 9.11 terrorist attacks in the U.S. and The Bombing Incident in Istanbul, Turkey. These are just a few examples.
- Chinese companies are expanding worldwide. The Chinese economy grew steadily. This is the era when their power became a threat to the world.
- AKB48 made their debut! This girls’ group was a massive hit.
- Japan wins the WBC for the second time in a row!
- The Great East Japan Earthquake caused tremendous damage in the northern Kanto and Tohoku regions.
- Society suffered from economic downturn, and problems such as aging population and fewer children have become more serious.
- The imperial era name has changed from Heisei to Reiwa!
- Worldwide spread of COVID-19 has brought stagnation of the economy.
- New terms such as “work from home” and “virtual happy hour” have spread, and industries are keenly working on DX.
The beauty trends
- Norika Fujiwara made wispy layered hair trend. There was a light hairstyle boom for a while.
- Ayumi Hamasaki’s short blonde hair became popular, while Yuri Ebihara’s long curly hair was also in trend.
- Hair extensions were also widely accepted by the youth.
- Bob-style loose perms are a huge trend among young people.
- Short hairstyles with layers on the back of the head (so-called “Gradation bob haircut” in Japan) and blunt bangs was a big fad.
- Getting highlights by using foil is also very popular. Now a wide variety of colors are offered to have more choices in hair color.
So much has happened in the past 20 years. Don’t you think nowadays we can all get closer towards our ideal self? In this series, we’ve been seeing the social events and beauty trends since 1960, and I noticed that the trend continues to revolve, which is quite interesting since we live in such a modern world!
I wish the world would continue to be the place where we can all work towards our ideal self.